Virginia, US
Carrying Documentation of Your Immigration Status
U.S. immigration laws and regulations require every foreign national age 18 or older to carry documentation of their lawful registration as a foreign national while in the United States. Documents acceptable for this purpose include:
  • A valid, unexpired Form I-94 admission record;
  • A U.S. Customs and Border Protection passport admission stamp;
  • A Form I-551 Permanent Resident Card ("green card");
  • A Form I-766 Employment Authorization Document (EAD); and
  • A Form I-185 or I-186 Border Crossing Card for citizens of Canada and Mexico.
Failure to carry a required document is a misdemeanor; for each offense, you may be fined up to $100, jailed up to 30 days, or both. While convictions for this offense are not common, in the current climate of heightened national security concern and more stringent immigration enforcement, you are advised to carry the relevant documents with you or keep them close by at all times.