Virginia, US


If your company is sending employees to Norway — Fragomen is here to help. Working closely with our Local Advisors in Norway, we provide the immigration strategies and support you need to get your employees on the ground as quickly as possible.  If you have any questions, please click here to contact us.

The Directorate of Immigration (UDI) is the central agency in the Norwegian immigration administration. It implements and helps develop the government’s immigration policy.

Business visitors to Norway typically use a local version of the Schengen C Visa, which they must obtain prior to arrival in Norway. Visa exempt nationals are not required to obtain a visa. The Schengen Area limits stays for visitors to 90 days in a 180-day period.

Work authorization is required for all citizens from countries outside the European Union/European Economic Area. The main work authorization categories are Service Providers – for highly skilled staff on temporary assignment to a Norwegian subsidiary or client; and Skilled Workers – for highly skilled staff locally hired by a Norwegian company.

The Service Provider permit can be granted for two years at a time based on the assignment duration, and can be extended to a maximum cumulative period of six years. After six years, the Service Provider is required to spend two years outside of Norway before reapplying. The Skilled Worker permit can be granted for up to three years and can also be extended.

Note that dependents (including opposite and same-sex spouses and de facto partners) are granted work authorization if they meet certain requirements.

Detailed Immigration Snapshots, Document Lists and Process Guides are available to clients on request.