Virginia, US

Nov 28 2016

Mexican Citizens Can Now Apply for Electronic Travel Authorization



When their visa requirement is lifted on December 1, 2016, Mexican citizens flying to or transiting through Canada will require an electronic travel authorization (eTA), for which they can apply now through a paper application at any Canadian visa application center abroad until December 1. After December 1, they will be able to apply for an eTA online. Until December 1, 2016, Mexican citizens still need a temporary resident visa to travel to Canada.

Mexican citizens will not need an eTA if they are entering Canada by land or sea.

Mexican citizens who already have a valid Canadian visa do not need an eTA and can travel with their valid visa. Once their Canadian visa expires, they will need to obtain an eTA.

What This Means for Foreign Nationals

Mexican nationals should benefit from the visa-free travel agreement and should contact their immigration professional for assistance with the eTA application process.

Mexican citizens seeking to work or study in Canada will still need to apply for work or study permits.

This alert is for informational purposes only. If you have any questions, please contact the global immigration professional with whom you work at Fragomen or send an email to [email protected].

© 2016 Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen & Loewy, LLP, Fragomen Global LLP and affiliates. All Rights Reserved.