Connecticut, US

Belgium Immigration Services

Whether your company is sending employees to Belgium or expanding outside of Belgium to destinations around the world—Fragomen is here to help. Our experienced Belgium immigration professionals partner with you to develop immigration strategies that help you meet inbound immigration needs and manage your regional or global immigration program.

Belgian immigration is complex; it requires the understanding of specific rules applicable to the region where a company operates as federal and regional authorities share responsibility for the immigration process. Belgian legislation offers several permit options based on the type and duration of work.​

The main residence and work permit in Belgium is the Highly Skilled Permit, suitable for transfers and temporary employment of foreign staff. For short-term work in Belgium, foreign nationals can obtain a work permit available for specific categories of workers, including highly skilled workers and specialized technicians, among others. Highly skilled local hires can also obtain an EU Blue Card. For all of these permit types, there may be regional variations in eligibility requirements, supporting documents and processing times.

For business visitors, Belgium also offers certain work permit exemptions, depending on the activities performed and duration of stay. Business visitors to Belgium typically travel with a Schengen C Visa, unless they are exempt from visa requirements because of their nationality. For all visitors, the Schengen Area limits stays to 90 days in a 180-day period. For stays exceeding 90 days, a residence permit is required.

Citizens of the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland are visa and work permit exempt, but may require a residence​ permit depending on their length of stay. Employees sent to Belgium from abroad for a temporary secondment​ must comply with Posted Worker requirements, including a Posted Worker notification. These requirements also apply to EU, EEA and Swiss nationals.

Detailed Immigration Snapshots, Document Lists and Process Guides are available to clients on request.


Fragomen in Belgium is Fragomen Global LLP, Belgium branch a limited liability partnership practicing law in Belgium.
8 professionals