Virginia, US


If your company is sending employees to Sweden — Fragomen is here to help. Working closely with our Local Advisors in Sweden, we provide the immigration strategies and support you need to get your employees on the ground as quickly as possible.  If you have any questions, please click here to contact us.

Business visitors to Sweden typically use a local version of the Schengen C Visa, which most foreign nationals are required to obtain prior to arrival in Sweden. Schengen visas are generally valid for stays of up to 90 days within a 180-day period.

There is no short-term work authorization category. The Work and Residence Permit is suitable for a variety of professionals and allows work for up to two years, provided the Offer of Employment is valid for at least two years. Dependents can be included on the application.

Foreign workers must be approved for work before entering Sweden. As a general rule, they should not be in Sweden while the Migration Agency is processing the application. Intracompany transfers are given preferential treatment in the immigration process, as they are exempt from the standard advertising requirement for a work and residence permit, which makes for a shorter process lead time. All local hire positions must be advertised for at least ten days.

Note that the minimum salary level and terms of employment must be acceptable according to trade union standards. Dependents (including same-sex and de facto partners) are granted work authorization if the foreign national is granted a work permit valid for at least six months.

Detailed Immigration Snapshots, Document Lists and Process Guides are available to clients on request.