Virginia, US


If your company is sending employees to Norway—Fragomen is here to help. Working closely with our Local Advisors in Norway, we provide the immigration strategies and support you need to get your employees on the ground as quickly as possible. 

The Directorate of Immigration (UDI) is the central agency in the Norwegian immigration administration, and it implements and helps develop the government’s immigration and refugee policy.

Business visitors to Norway typically use a local version of the Schengen C Visa, which most foreign nationals are required to obtain prior to arrival in Norway. Schengen visas are generally valid for up to 90 days within a 180-day period.

Work authorization is required for all citizens from outside the European Union/European Economic Area. The main work authorization categories are Service Providers – for highly skilled staff on temporary assignment to a Norwegian subsidiary or client; and Skilled Workers – for highly skilled staff locally hired by a Norwegian company. The Service Provider permit can be granted for one to two years at a time, and can be extended to a maximum cumulative period of up to six years. After six years, the Service Provider is required to spend two years outside of Norway before reapplying. The Skilled Worker permit can be granted for up to three years and can also be extended.

Note that dependents (including opposite and same-sex spouses and de facto partners) are granted work authorization if certain requirements are met.

Detailed Immigration Snapshots, Document Lists and Process Guides are available to clients on request.