Virginia, US

Republic of Korea (South Korea)

If your company is sending employees to Korea—Fragomen is here to help. Working closely with our Local Advisors in Korea, we provide the immigration strategies and support you need to get your employees on the ground as quickly as possible. 

Korean law provides many solutions to help employers of foreign nationals.  Requirements, processing times, employment eligibility, and benefits for accompanying family members vary by visa classification.  In general, whether or not a foreign national is required to obtain a visa to visit South Korea depends on a variety of factors including nationality, the purpose and expected duration of stay, occupation and family relations. 

Business visitors to South Korea typically use the C-3-4 Visa, which must generally be applied for outside of South Korea.  The visa validity period and duration of stay are determined on a case-by-case basis, depending on business need and consular officer discretion.

The primary category of work authorization is D-7 Intracompany Transfer Visa.  It can be granted for two years, but is generally granted for one year.  The D-8 (Corporate Investment Visa) is issued to employees seconded to a foreign company's South Korean subsidiary registered under Korea's Foreign Investment Promotion Act.  Foreign nationals can generally file an application for conversion to a D-8 work visa after their arrival in South Korea on business visitor status.

Note that decisions regarding work authorization are at the discretion of the immigration authorities. In addition, documentation requirements for visa and work permit applications vary significantly across consulates.

Detailed Immigration Snapshots, Document Lists and Process Guides are available to clients on request.

1 professionals